GRFC Women Qualify for 2018 UWS Playoffs

With one of the hottest weekends in a while, GRFC Women had a back to back in Lansing on Friday night and at home in Grandville for a match Saturday. Head Coach James Gilpin was not present for the two games as he was coaching at the US Soccer Development Academy Showcase in San Diego, CA.

Friday night’s 1-2 loss against Lansing United had big implications on the final standings of the league. With that, the ladies will finish 2nd the league regardless of the results of the last weekend of play.

Lansing United scored in the 12th minute off a crossed ball early in the game to take the 1-0 advantage. No more than 2 minutes later, GRFC was adding high pressure with a ball being cleared off the line in the 14th minute from a corner and scoring a goal in the 15th minute by Marti Corby. The ball was struck wonderfully from outside the box to the back post to equalize almost immediately after conceding.

The game was back and forth for most of the first half; Cindy Lay struck the post on a cross/shot that came out and back into play. The ladies in blue were more dominant on the ball in the first 45 minutes, but settled for deep shots without hitting the target very often.

In the 51st minute off a Lansing United corner, the ball hit the top post and seemingly came down for what the ref called a goal after a bit of a scramble. With no VAR in place in UWS, the center ref decided for no goal and brought the ball back in play.

In another mix up in the box, the center called a handball off a deflected shot for Lansing United in the box giving them a penalty kick which they converted to take the 2-1 lead in the 66th minute.

The result held for Lansing United as they handed the ladies their first defeat of the season and since early last season against the Detroit Sun.

In another incredibly hot affair on Saturday, GRFC was back at home after a 4-week spell on the road and of bye weekends. The match was confusing from the beginning as opponent, Indy Premier SC, only had 7 players show up. For clarification, UWS league rules would apply a fine to Indy Premier for a forfeit of the match, and 7 players is the least amount of players that can be fielded without forfeit.

To spare gruesome details, the game went as assumed with 11v7. The ladies opened up scoring in the 2nd minute, and added goals in the minutes as follows: 6th, 9th, 12th, 19th, 22nd, 27th, 39th, 54th, 58th, 70th, 79th, 82nd, and 86th. The game ended 14-0 as GRFC controlled the ball for 90 minutes in the heat.

“It was a big weekend for us. We didn’t get the result we wanted on Friday, but we came back together as a team Saturday and finished with a big win” said Captain, Marti Corby, “I’m proud of this team for securing a spot in postseason play, and I am looking forward to finishing off the regular season at home this Sunday.”

The GRFC Women take on Fort Wayne United on Sunday at 3 PM at Grandville High for the last game of the regular season. Thursday, July 12th at 6 PM, the ladies will play the 3 seed at East Lansing Soccer Complex to start postseason play.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on reddit
Share on email